Thursday, June 01, 2006

"In chess, it’s the pawns that go first." --- Magneto ( X-Men 3: The Last Stand)


Warning: SPOILERS INCLUDED!!!



This evening, after going to NBI Carriedo and Sampaloc for Winston's NBI clearance and laptop quest respectively, I and 8 other Circuit01 peeps - Carlo, Fil, Ivan, Liz, Kelly, Ralph, Roma and Winston (Arpee left us before the movie started; Ron arrived right after the movie) went for a movie in Megamall. We watched X-Men 3: The Last Stand. I think, most of us thought at first that the third installment of the popular Marvel series would definitely end with that so called "last stand" - until we witnessed not one, but two anticlimactic endings (before and after the credits). The two scenes tell us that the film is probable to evolve from a trilogy's last episode to an anthology's open-ended sequel. I bet that the next motion picture will concentrate fully on Wolverine's (Hugh Jackman) character. By next year, 20th Century Fox may no longer be able to afford the full-length talent fees of Storm (Academy Award® Winner Halle Berry), Jean Grey/Phoenix (Famke Janssen), the deceased Cyclops (James Marsden), the transfigured Professor X (Patrick Stewart), the "cured" Magneto (Sir Ian McKellen) and the betrayed Mystique (Rebecca Romijn, nee Stamos). They might just show up in cameo/supporting roles.

Meanwhile, the Pinay model who played as the telephatic villain Psylocke (Mei Melançon) , in my opinion, was not given enough exposure and character development - considering the number of publicity materials 20th Century Fox released a quarter ago regarding her addition to the X-Men cast. She was not also properly billed in the end credits. I expected her to be paralleled with Rogue (Anna Paquin), Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) and Pyro (Aaron Stanford). Sorry for being biased towards her, she's a fellow Filipino. Of all the supporting cast members, I appreciated the evolution of Colossus's (Daniel Cudmore) and Shadowcat's (Ellen Page) characters the most.

Actually, the Brett Ratner's version, for me, is way way better than the Bryan Singer's first two productions. But a Decent Films Guide' review of the film tells otherwise. Better watch the movie yourself to know which side you are on. I'll watch it again for, maybe, a couple of times and I hope that I'll be able to give you my own review before it's too late to make one.

Anyway, a good movie or a bad movie it may be, I enjoyed the night I spent with my college barkada. Have I already mentioned that we went straight to Starbucks Podium right after the movie? We indulged with fraps and fruit drinks with some good and light conversations on the side. To top that, our bill is 50% cheaper than what it was supposed to be - thanks to Ralph's bounce back coupons.
|
Superman Returns