Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Mojitos®

Wow!

Last July 8, my girl cousin Romalyn and his boyfriend Frederick (a.k.a. Tutoy), who also happens to be a close barkada friend, celebrated their 7th (YES, SEVENTH!!!) anniversary as partners. Most of us in our extended family look up to them for being able to withstand seven years of alternate periods of harmony and bickering - somehow a normal cycle for a typical boyfriend-girlfriend relationship. I, myself, managed to sustain only a three-month connection with a girl (-> I think the longest I ever had, as far as I can recall).

Anyway, the one thing I want to share is my first experience of drinking shots of Mojitos® Tequila. We had iodized salt and calamansi (lemon was not an option because of its scarcity and expensive prize, of course) to complement the drink; we also made a pitcher of lemon iced tea as a substitute to the real citrus. We experimented with the different parts of our body as to where to put the salt we all had to lick - I figured out just a few moments after the first shot that the back of the hand (OWN HAND!) is the most appropriate and the most convenient spot to lick the salt.

Just halfway through our first bottle (the girls just watched us, 5 guys, while we were emptying the container), my girl cousin's brother Almond - technically, my cousin, too - could not take any more and was groggily sleeping on the sofa seconds after having his last shot. Then, another one, Israel, retired and went home due to his and his sister Almira's curfew. After consuming the entire bottle, a third acquaintance, Mark, bid farewell so the two of us who remained (I and my cousin's BF) decided not to open the second Mojitos®. We spent the last hours of the evening singing with the girls using WOW! Magic Sing®. The women (Kriselle, Liezl, Marbeth, Marianne, Rica and Roma) noticed the difference between the last two man standing - me showing no tinge of alcohol inside me and Tutoy appearing to be obviously tipsy and sleepy. They once again admired me for having that so called "MALAKING BAHAY-ALAK" or high-alcohol-tolerance-level (I guess, it's in the genes). I seldom or practically never vomited or fell asleep in the middle of a session - whether the liquid is beer, gin, rum, wine or any alcoholic beverage, it doesn't matter. Of course, I make it a point to limit my alcohol intake. I only drink occasionally (relying on the fact that occasions do not occur on a daily basis - haha) and I know my limitations and when to say NO. I also take note of the liquor's proof/alcohol-by-volume readings. Mojitos is 36% alcohol by volume.

I think I have to try those supplements that protect the liver and other internal organs from damage due to alcohol. What do you think?


------------------------

France and Switzerland not empty-handed after the World Cup

France's Amelie Mauresmo consoled her countrymen from their national team's football finals defeat from the Italians by capturing his first Wimbledon Championship. The top seed defeated Belgium's third seed Justine Henin-Hardenne, the same woman she defeated in the Australian Open 2006 finals, via a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Switzerland, after losing to Ukraine in the Round of 16 through a penalty shootout 3-0, now has more bragging rights after Roger Federer's fourth straight All England Club trophy and second Grand Slam this year after his Australian Open triumph in January. The men's top ranked player trashed #2 Rafael Nadal of Spain, conqueror of the French Open 2006 over Federer, with a 6-0, 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (2-7), 6-3 victory.

Over-all, both the Wimby and the World Cup were dominated by Europeans making the United States and the rest of the planet the real empty-handed.

------------------------

2-2 or 3-1?

Game 4 of the best-of-seven championship series of the PBA Gran Matador Philippine Cup between Purefoods Chunky Giants and Red Bull Barakos is scheduled tonight at the Araneta Coliseum. Play starts at 7:10 pm (Manila time) with the Giants enjoying a 2-1 lead. Purefoods won Games 1 and 2, 101-97 and 93-82; Red Bull triumphed in Game 3, 89-79.
|
Superman Returns