Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Athlete???

I have never been this athletic in my entire life. I had been known as a nerdy geek since the day I entered kindergarten, or even before any formal schooling. My mother always boasts that I learned how to read when I was barely three years old and I finished the ABAKADA booklet months before she enrolled me to a public school in 1990. To make the long story short, I had never excelled in, or worse - had never got the chance to learn how to play, any sports discipline during my childhood. It's not that I was lampa, or in more colloquial term - malata, actually I know for a fact that I have an above-average endurance and an acceptable physical strength; it's just that I did not have the time then, and/or I guess, the resources to enroll in sports clinics and learn the basics of those games. The only thing I developed during those years is my mental strength - yes, I was the Valedictorian of my kindergarten, grade school, and high school batches.

Throughout the course of my academic life, I just relied on TV and print materials for me to learn the rules and regulations of the sports that caught my interest - badminton, basketball, billiards, boxing, lawn and table tennis, volleyball, etc. Back then, the only event I mastered was... CHESS! Hehe. I told myself, once I finished my studies or at least stepped into college, I would definitely and finally be able to find time and resources to be physically active in sports and not just be a spectator. During high school, I learned the basics of basketball, table tennis, and volleyball - but just the basics. During college, I somehow did well in billiards, bowling and other Philippine indigenous games and made running and walking a part of my everyday life.

But I know it was not enough. I was starting to grow bigger-and-heavier. I must sweat all my fats out and the only way to accomplish the task is to be more physically active. Thank God, at HP, the mission is far from impossible. I was admitted to Gold's Gym Fitness program starting from my first month in the company. I became more serious in bowling - having been included in SAP-ADSI's roster of players in the OlymHPics. We're practicing twice a week in preparation for our first game on Saturday. In fact, my schedule this week is: Tuesday - bowling and gym, Wednesday - gym, Thurday - bowling and gym, Saturday - bowling and/or tennis, Sunday - DotA. Haha.

Hopefully, months from now, a hunkier ONIN will emerge from these activities.

Labels: , ,

|
Superman Returns